Wednesday 3 April 2013

Do we really care about brands?

I noticed last week, after the man from Tesco dropped off the weekly shop, that we had 112 items with three substitutions on our receipt. Surprisingly I did not care about the replacement products and it was only as we were packing away the groceries that I realised I didn't really care about the over whelming majority of the branded products that we buy on a weekly basis.

After all my life was not going to change because I was drinking Nescafe instead of Kenco instant and the fact that Tesco had decided to bring me McVities chocolate digestives instead of my usual Fox's Classic was hardly cause for alarm.

In fact after reviewing all the products we purchased last week there was only one that I would have gone out of my way to ensure we had in the house. (Sanex Zero Shower Gel - sensitive skin!!)

So after all those expensive TV, Press, Outdoor, P.O.S. Online, Social and Viral Video campaigns only one brand from 112 products created any form of loyalty.

Why?

Well its not because I am an advocate for Sanex,  I don't visit their website or love their commercials and I have no idea if they have a Facebook page or a Twitter feed. Its because sore itchy skin really bothers me and their product does not irritate an existing eczema condition.

Whilst this example is anecdotal I think it demonstrates that what we really care about is what branded products actually deliver versus the brand itself. And if you want a personnel demonstration of this then the next time you are unpacking your groceries ask yourself if you had forgotten one of your weekly purchases would you leave the house to go and get it? 



No comments:

Post a Comment